Monday, August 5, 2013

The difference between us

One major difference in "just anybody's achy joints" and mine is that, "just anybody" can typically attribute their joint pain and/or stiffness to some activity. I can't do much in the way of activity that would cause that pain because my mobility is limited by the irreparable damage that this disease has already done. My joints don't all hurt all the time, but at least a few hurt all the time. Then there are nights like last night when no position could be found to keep me asleep for more than a few minutes without some joint - be it a knee, a shoulder, an elbow, a wrist, an ankle, or even digits - would scream out, "I don't think so! Try again!" And, there are mornings like this morning when, no matter how badly I want to get out of bed, my legs ache, sting, throb and burn so badly that I have to psyche myself up just to test my feet on the floor, hoping they will not resist carrying me into the next room. I feel like my body has done a triathlon, but the most active thing I did yesterday was a trip to a small grocery store where my child helped me carry out three bags of groceries. That should hardly warrant pain at all, and certainly not pain like this. Usually my mornings are better than my evenings, but apparently not always, and especially when they follow such a restless night.

Then, there's the weather. I guess that is something I have in common with "just anybody".  The humidity here is ridiculous. It's been cooler than usual for summertime, which I guess has its perks. The less rain and more heat, the better I do - so I tend to look forward to summertime because I do feel more mobile. This summer is killing me, though. Sure, it's nice to sit on the porch and enjoy a cool breeze, but when that is all I can do 'round here, it's a little more bitter than sweet.

No comments: