Thursday, July 29, 2010

Injectible

My husband gave me my first injection of Methotrexate last night. The needle was quite a big larger than we expected (we are used to diabetic pen-needles we use for our daughter) but it needed to be because .8 cc is A LOT for one shot.  My husband was gentle, and the insertion of the needle wasn't bad at all, but the more he injected, the more it hurt.  By the time he had it all in, I have to say my bottom hurt!! (We opted for the fattiest part of me since the needle was bigger than expected. I'd hoped to do it in my arm, but I don't think that's going to happen, at least for a while.) Fortunately, it went away within minutes.  All in all, it was MUCH better than swallowing all of those pills. I noticed a new warning on the injectible that hadn't been on the oral med: May Cause Dizziness.  I stayed put while the soreness wore off, so I didn't experience that feeling - I suspect the dizziness could be from the volume of the med.  We use a numbing cream before we set my daughter's insulin pump, so next week I'm going to use a dab of that first to see if it makes a difference in the soreness of the injection.  Today I feel like I do on most Thursdays, better than the rest of the week. I am hoping the effect of the injection doesn't wear off as quickly as the oral med does.

I ordered my meds online for the first time, using a website called Health Warehouse. It was MUCH less expensive than any of the local pharmacies, and despite a few snags with getting the prescriptions transferred and verified, they sent my order overnight so I wouldn't miss a dose (or have to fill it locally for the week). I'm pleased and look forward to saving money using the online pharmacy.  I do have some measure of guilt over switching from my local small pharmacy we've used for a decade, but when you have no insurance, your kids have no insurance, and one of your family members is Type 1 Diabetic and one has RA, and the price difference for the same meds is so large ... well, I had to do what I had to do.

No comments: