Sunday, December 7, 2008

Weeks in now

The virtually pain-free time ended about 10 days after my first infusion. I suspect it is the Prednisone (steroid) that was providing the immediate relief. In any event, I was ready for Round Two. I have now been on Methotrexate for 3.5 weeks, so I'm hoping that's going to pick up where my second steroid dose leaves off. I'm sleeping and moving really well. I'm not quite as good as I was after the first infusion, but better than a month ago for sure. It dawned on me yesterday that it has been a full month since I've even thought about taking Advil - that's a very good thing. The only side effects I have to complain about are my skin and my appetite. I don't know if either is even attributable to any of the meds, but I'm fighting pimples like a teenager and I can't seem to ever get full.

Even though my liver enzyme test indicated my liver is in good shape, I still worry about damaging it. "No drinking while on Methotrexate is the rule of thumb." I'm having a hard time with that. I've only given in one time, at a concert, since beginning treatment, and even then I only had one beer. It just sucks to hang out with friends and family in situations where I enjoy a drink or two, and now all I do is sulk because I can't do what I want to. (Now that I put that in black and white, I appear to be a whiney tit!) I'd been hoping to begin a Milk Thistle supplement to help keep my liver healthy but have since learned that it's a gut-buster, so I'm still looking.

Overall, I'm good. Much better than would have been without treatment.

No comments: